It’s nothing less than a complete change of mind: Microsoft publishes OSS (Open Source Software) on Github, delivers PowerShell to Linux, MacOS and Windows, creates platform agnostic tools – simply re-inventing itself.
I invited Joey Aiello and Bartek Bielawski to talk about this transformative change in another ENGLISH episode of the “Sliding Windows”. Joey (on the left hand side) is a program manager on Microsoft’s PowerShell team and OSS (Open Source Software) enthusiast. Bartek Bielawski, well known scripting guru, book author and systems engineer for Optiver already covered InterOp topics when it was neither mainstream nor fun.
We talk about the demand for technologies such as PowerShell, standards based remoting technologies, a tool chain spanning different OS and the love for OSS in general. Wrapping up, we focus on an OS agnostic IT, driven by APIs and layers of software beyond our traditional perception of computers and operating systems.
This interview was recorded during the PowerShell Conference EU on May 5, 2017 in Hannover.
- Git by Linus Torvalds
- Knoppix by Klaus Knopper
- Cebit computer expo (Wikipedia)
- Jeffrey Snover about the “Renaissance of the command line” (Youtube)
- Commodore Datasette (a tape drive)
- Thorsten Butz: Linux Administration with OMI and DSC (PPTX)
- OpenPegasus, Web-Based Enterprise Management (Wikipedia)
- Ansible (Wikipedia)
- A brief history of Docker
- WSL: “Bash on Windows” (Windows Weekly Episode 514)
- PSRP: PowerShell Remoting Protocol
- FVWM95 (Wikipedia)
- Bartosz Bielawski: Hell freezing over: PowerShell on Linux and GitHub (Youtube)
- Bartoz Bielawski: OMI – Powershell Everywhere (Youtube)
- Joey Aiello: Day in the Life of a Github maintainer and committee member (Channel 9)
- People mentioned:
- PowerShell Conference EU
- Bartosz Bielawski: Windows PowerShell 5.0. Biblia
- Jeffrey Snover: Getting Started with PowerShell Desired State Configuration (DSC): (07) DSC and Linux
(Quote/Outro: 2:00 – 2:37)